To go to Syria or not go to Syria, that is the question

Last year I ran a reader poll, which I greatly enjoyed, to ask any of my friends and trusted advisors who cared to comment whether I should go to Rio for carnival or to Colombia.  The consensus was Rio, so I went and it was great. (I also managed to squeeze in a very short visit to Colombia as well). I’m now facing a new dilemma, on which I’d appreciate your input again. The situation is this: I’ve booked to go to Syria on 19 April, a jaunt I thought of a while ago to take full advantage of the run of bank holidays coming up. The idea was it would be an interesting place to visit, warm, a fairly short flight away. Now, like much of the region, the country is ripe for political instability and violence. This is the latest Foreign Office recommendation – pretty con-committal really.

So my question for you is: shall I go as planned or should I cancel? Vote now please!


5 thoughts on “To go to Syria or not go to Syria, that is the question

  1. Problem I can see is that things are changing really fast on the ground and your trip isn’t for a few weeks yet. On balance I would say no. Not now. Big difference between Rio carnival and a country facing political turmoil, demos, and shootings etc. Whatever you do, take care!

  2. I would go, but remember that things are changing there, very rapidly and that it is after Friday prayers that most trouble starts. I would ring the foreign office for advice. Before you decide not to go, otherwise go and enjoy yourself!

  3. Hey dude,
    Same dilemma here. Solly pointed me your blog. I decided I *am* going though. Landing on the 12th. If I feel things turn really ballistic… I´ll get out. See you around Dimashq! 😉

    1. Thanks Renata. If you do fly out there on the 12th, can you let me know how you find it out there? And have you got a multiple entry visa?

  4. Sure! I´m super nervous as well. Until yesterday I was committed to my plans. However, I may change my trip. After Bash speech today, things might definitely go balistic soon. Did you read the news? I´m gonna wait until Friday. This is gonna be a *huge* day. You have my email. Send me yours. I´m a friend of Solly´s. We can be in touch! Fingers crossed!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s